The Canary Bird Vine


We found this beautiful flower growing up the trunk of a large tree.
This is the Canary Bird Vine.



It is grown as an ornamental plant in various parts of the world, but it is believed to
be native to Peru and possibly also Ecuador. Have you seen this plant growing near you? If so, where?



As the name suggests, it is a climbing plant that grows over other vegetation. The delicate flowers are 0.75 inches to 1.5 inches (2 to 4 cm) in diameter. As a reference, do you see the tip of my finger in the picture below?



The five brightly colored yellow petals grow in two distinct forms, two growing upwards in one form and three below them with a different form. Look closely and you will also see the eight stamens. Another curious detail, as seen in the photo below, is the 0.5 inch (12 mm) nectar spur sticking out the back. All you hummingbirds out there are probably drooling by now!


Its Latin name is Tropaeolum peregrinum of the family Tropaeolaceae. Other common names are: canary creeper, canary bird flower, and canary nasturtium. And in German it is the Kletternde Kapuzinerkresse. (I thought I would just toss in a random language.)

We’re curious, though. Have you seen this plant growing near you? If so, in what part of the world? Write a comment below to let us know. Thanks!
 

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I've never seen one like it in the US, especially one so delicate. I bet the ants love it. - crabbigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any ants on this vine, but I'm sure you are right. There are ants all over the place, of various shapes and sizes. We will be posting more about ants in Bolivia in the future.

      Delete
  2. This is the first time I've seen this flower and I love it. Nope none in Northern California that I'm aware of. Thank you for sharing all the detail information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this is in the orchid family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they are not. Orchids are in the Orchidaceae family. But these flowers are beautiful and delicate just like orchids, aren't they?

      Delete